Tuesday, August 10, 2010

100

I have run across a few different articles recently that discuss the applicant of the concept of less is more. A fight against American Consumerism for some, for others a way to escape from a world in which they feel isolated, constrained, or drowning in their life.

The idea is that if you limit the number of things you own, and keep this number fixed, that you will result a less stressful, more financially stable life. Mostly I have come across people that have decided to place 100 as the "magic" number, with some flexibility on the rules of what counts, what doesn't, and what you can group (some count things such as pots and pans, some decide shared items such as dining room tables, chairs, kitchen items should not count, and then items that are hygiene related and really is just gross to limit to 1 or 2 total, such as underwear, sock, etc. ) Some say 100 personal items, some say 100 items total... your life, your rules, as long as you set them, and stick to them.

The idea fascinates me. I mean, realistically it makes a lot of sense, you end up not making nearly as many purchases b/c something is on sale, you simply like something, but won't use it, type sales. Reducing the amount of waste coming from you, and reduce the demand.

I have an article in the works discussing the 3 R's; reduce, reuse, recycle, and this idea does touch on the reduce R.

You reduce demand, you end up purchasing quality items when you do buy them, and your overall satisfaction with the items you own theoretically goes up. You consider your purchases more thoroughly, and spend more time desiring them, making the purchase more pleasing, even purchasing things like houses, taking into consideration and valuing the local environment you are putting yourself in outweighing the "typical desirees" (such as access to trails, and places you will enjoy, over the size of the space).

It is as much an environmental shift as it is a mental and financial shift. Many of those that have accomplished this feat claim their debt decreases, they feel less stressed, more free to explore the world, and financially stable, and available to do as they please, take jobs that pay less, b/c they do not need as much money to do the things they find satisfying.

There are many TV shows that focus on less is more, and as Americans in an economic down turn, it is truly an ideal time to focus on this. The focus of making yourself a better person seems to be a trend, with less is more, think less weight = biggest loser, less stuff = hoarders... These are extreme cases, but the fact they get air time, means that there is a population out there that connects with the theme... You have too much weight, internal and externally around, and shedding this "weight" can open a whole new world of possibilities.

Quality over Quantity, Less over More, truly thinking Long-term investment over short term thrill.

I do not know if I could truly get down to 100 ( I counted the items I have hung in my closet yesterday, just to see where I stood, I was at about 90, just there, and then the shoes below not even counted) If I really stand there and look at what is there, I could eliminate things I do not need, but enjoy having. Maybe slowly I will start eliminating this unnecessary items. Mostly I think it begins with not buying more, because I do shop second hand more often, but find that I will sometimes buy things (even second hand) that I do not need, but might want or might use, if I eliminated these purchases, I would save money, save stress, and save closet space.... it is a short "high" so to speak of buying things, the excitement of having something "new".

Studies also show that people value experiences more so then things, spending times doing things rather than a new shirt, new gadget... which honestly makes sense, items are replaceable, experiences stay with you forever, and those items that do stick with you for a long time, become valuable and are justified. That pair of shoes (I grit my teeth as I say this, b/c I love shoes) that seem fun for the moment, may not be so exciting in say, even a year or two...

In all honesty, it could be a rough road at first... but the idea of seriously considering items as needs and wants, and narrowing down the needs to less, is not such a terrible idea. The positives of environmental, financial, and personal happiness that could come from it long term, may be worth the challenge and struggle... You may open up your world to a whole new concept of happiness and make way for things that you never imagined...

Maybe the task at first does not focus on how much to keep, but instead starts with a number of things to get rid of, say 50.... then you shift into the owning number bracket, say, 200 personal things, and see how we go from there. If nothing else this concept of accounting for belongings, making wise decisions, and reducing the need in your life, makes you observant and aware, which, really is the purpose of the excerise, and freeing yourself from the Haves to realizing what you really Need and want out of life.

-Heather Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment