Thursday, October 7, 2010

Revolution is a paticipatory sport...

On to my serious topic and thoughts of the day displayed in the way I think about them, comentary and all... our world, planet, future and hope. Now I live in the world of climate change and long range planning to try and reduce emmissions, resource management, to save something for the generations after us. I am also taking a psychology class that touched on the influences of culture on your psychological development

Growing up I always thought, oh I'll grow up, get married, have kids... blah blah blah, and live happily ever after. but the growing up part opens your eyes to how to make a difference.

I have come to the conclusion that to make a difference, we need to do less... less of everything (except maybe educate people) especially in America. Our culture is built off of pride and success for the individual; accomplishments, degrees, financial, material success, the individual before the masses. Other cultures think as a group, they care for the success of the group as a whole (maybe I am a flaming liberal for these statements. it is possible) but WTF america... figure it out.

We need to stop caring about having 5 cars, the big house, we need to start thinking about what we would do if the economy just froze and fell off the face of the planet. In so many other countries families live together, the elderly live with their children, and help their grandchildren grown, foster good family ideals, they teach caring, among many other things. Just because one person is the breadwinner, does not mean the others are not contributing, because the working class are supporting the masses (just as I think we need to support health care) does not make them the only "successful one", every part of a family is part of the success of the system... and each one of those people are ok with that.

Did you know the majority of those without health care in America are children.... who have no say in the matter, (they also are the age bracket highest in extreme poverty) and our elder are supported by social security that is failling, that keeps them below the poverty line, even though they have worked their whole life and given to this country. And who is making the decisions for these groups? Who are the ones that are saying our health care is fine? (not the children born into poverty and with no health care, thats for sure)What happen to caring about those around us? (yes there will be people that choose to take advantage of "the system" but what system does that not happen) and the majority of people in countries that do have universial health care are happy with it, and would not want it privitized (despite news media, if you talk to real people, you will find this is th truth).

We need to stop eatting bananas(I know this one seems random), the number 1 consumed fruit in the US, and something that CAN NOT be grown here... Think of how much energy, effort, and pollution it takes to bring a banana to you (yes, I still eat bananas, but I feel a lot guilty every time I eat them!) let alone many other products that come from other countries and other states. We need to be aware of how we get the things we are privilaged to have access to in this country... minerals, jewels, and think of the lives of the people that bring them to us, that allow us to live the way we do... do we as a country consider this? not with any true compassion.
We need to find joy and pride in "old" things, and not having to have all brand new things, what happen to the pride in items that are passed down, that you fix, that you use adaptively... We need to think locally, and we need to think low impact...

Really I think we would be a whole lot happier as a people, as Americans, as human beings, I think we would relate better with each other, if people reflect in their belongings and see that there is more beauty in a mess of personalized, old, beautiful, passed down items (let alone the stories and pride that come with these items).
We need to have a cultural identity check, think of others, think of the future, but this would take a lot of psychological overdrive to accomplish... do I think its do-able with the environmental impacts? Yes, I do, I hope that we have that ability.

(I honestly have moved from that little girl with a happily ever after, to one that thinks maybe I shouldn't have kids, that I should buy local, where-ever I might be, and live lightly on the world in all ways as I can... but can one person change the world?... if enough "one persons" thought this way, it is possible. Are we past the hope stage?*shruggs shoulders* I could just say fuck it... I mean, I proably won't be around when things go south, but then again, I tend to be a nice caring person that thinks there is good out there, and I have a lot of hope, although I wonder if there is a point to it, or if it is so I personally don't loss my mind. (If you don't have hope, what do you have)
-Heather Phillips
  February 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment